I seek a senior position leading IT teams or technology projects in an organization that values creativity, curiosity, problem-solving and risk-taking. I have a recognized 20+ year track record of delivering results in information technology and management. My contributions include architecture of front- and back- end platforms, setting up operations, and management of cross-functional teams, vendors and stakeholders. Passionate about information security, data protection and privacy, I write in the media evangelizing best practices and proposing solutions to prevent catastrophic loss from cyber attacks.
Technology Entrepreneur, Content Distribution and Security
I built technology platforms that met local business and consumer demand in India for content distribution, civic engagement tools and data protection.
Founder, SecureTheWeb.info Jan. 2018 – Present
Developing a web application framework that integrates data protection, security and compliance with the EU’s GDPR. Launched securetheweb.info, an automated, static analysis dashboard of the world’s most popular web sites.
Skills: Python, Django, React.js, application security (OWASP Top 10), security protocols (HSTS, CSP)
Founder, YouRTI.in, India Nov. 2015 – Mar. 2018
YouRTI.in is a secure, intelligent platform that leverages technology to empower citizens to request government information through Freedom Of Information laws. I led Product Development, IT Management (hands-on control of security and privacy aspects), and Budgeting. After proving market demand and viability, an NGO has invested in day-to-day operations I have stepped into an advisory role.
Founder, A-SK Media International, India Jul. 2014 – Jun. 2017
Consulting and technology services to media, entertainment and retail companies for digital distribution and monetization of online content.
- Launched content distribution platforms to identify optimum revenue models, including micropayments (pay-per-article, in), and to serve unmet demand for content in local languages (FamiLife.in). Produced original and licensed content from 10 brands, including popular consumer titles, such as Car India, Ideal Home & Garden, Smart Photography.
- Provide ongoing consulting services on digital media distribution strategies to international media companies seeking business growth opportunities in India; focused on market landscape, pricing strategies and regulatory environment; generate leads and senior management contacts. Clients have included a leading software vendor and a global music distributor.
Technology Leader and Executive, HBO Inc, New York and Sweden 2005-2013
CEO, Parsifal Entertainment (JV owner of HBO Nordic), Sweden Jul. 2013 – Dec. 2013
Architected the technology platform that powers Starz Play (MENA)
- Drove the design and architecture of next-generation OTT video technology platform
- Recruited the technology team, including CIO of Starz Play (MENA)
EVP Technology & CTO, HBO Nordic, Sweden Dec. 2012 – Jun. 2013
Developed a strategic road-map and accelerated technology development while reducing costs
- Achieved turnaround of the technology platform to deliver growth and greater subscriber satisfaction
- Drove improvements in video quality, expanded app capabilities and introduced new platforms
- Worked with all stakeholders to prioritize requirements and allocate resources
- Evaluated and selected vendors globally and negotiated contracts
Launch Project Manager, HBO Nordic, Sweden Oct. 2012 – Dec. 2012
Took control of the HBO Nordic project and developed a new launch plan acceptable to all stakeholders.
- Integrated a dozen vendors into one common project timeline
- Established content traffic workflow
- Defined processes across all technology areas
Director – Distribution Authorizations & Operations, HBO Inc, New York Apr. 2010-May 2011
Restructured HBO’s client support group to handle new content delivery methods. Led critical technology infrastructure projects with company-wide cost-savings impact. Reduced service response time, increased quality of outbound communications and raised commitment to excellence.
- Managed secure distribution of HD video via the public Internet.
- Headed a team of ten mid-level managers and customer-response agents, and a data analyst.
Manager – Technology Operations (New Media), HBO Inc, New York Oct. 2007 – Mar. 2010
- Managed cross-functional project teams across IT, Operations, Engineering and Business domains.
- Create project budgets, milestones and track progress;
- Identify project risks and develop contingency plans
- Maintained HBO’s position as a technology leader by collaborating with internal engineers and vendors to define strategic technology needs.
- Ensured compliance with regulations (e.g. Closed Captioning, CALM Act) through internal communication of guidelines and establishment of checks and balances to verify compliance.
Senior Software Engineer, Project Leader, HBO Inc, New York Oct. 2005 – Sep. 2007
Worked with users to meet their needs; established and championed test-driven, agile methodologies.
Software Developer, Project Manager
France Telecom (Paris); Tangoe (New Haven) 2000 to 2005
Designed data architecture and developed Java middleware for projects including early-stage Internet of Things and nascent AJAX techniques. Researched business implications of emergent technologies. Led tech teams and used test-driven development and agile methods to increase efficiency and quality.
Entrepreneur, Benin, West Africa 1999 to 2000
Created and put into operation a complete software system to run a rural savings and micro-credit lending institution, sponsored by Oxfam Quebec.
Volunteer, US Peace Corps, Benin, West Africa 1997 to 1998
Taught mathematics in French to 210 students in three levels in a high school.
- Deep knowledge of application security, Internet protocols, Linux configuration, cloud (AWS/EC2/S3, Google Cloud), containers (Vagrant, Docker, Kubernetes), virtualization
- Working knowledge of cryptography, neural networks (SciKit, TensorFlow), text recognition (Tesseract), natural language processing (NLTK)
- Fluent in French, Hindi, Telugu; functional in Spanish, German; Some Russian.
Digital Media Asia 2011, “Maintaining the Premium Edge” (Subscription platforms and business models).
The Future is Mobile: Implications for Data Visualization, 6 Apr 2016; G D Goenka University
Taught a semester of data journalism to undergraduate/graduate students at G D Goenka University, 2016.